Tractor-trailer collisions can result in catastrophic results if the crash also involves a passenger car. A fully loaded tractor-trailers weighs up to 80,000 pounds, while an average passenger car weighs between 3,000 to 4,000 pounds. If a tractor-trailer crashes into a passenger car, physics dictates the passenger car will be the loser in that collision. Due to their weight, tractor-trailers take a much longer distance to stop than a passenger car. A tractor-trailer traveling at 65 mph will take almost two football fields to come to a stop.
A few key statistics highlighting the danger of semi-trucks
The statistics highlighting the danger of tractor-trailer rigs are quite alarming, but most people have no idea how dangerous they can be without seeing the statistics spelled out.
- 82% of tractor-trailer-related fatalities involve the other vehicle's driver or passengers - not the driver of the tractor-trailer.
- There were 4,479 fatal crashes involving tractor-trailers in 2019.
- Fatal crashes involving tractor-trailers often occur in rural areas and on Interstate highways.
- In 2019, almost 114,000 18-wheeler accidents caused injuries.
- Nearly 510,000 tractor-trailers are involved in accidents every year where injuries do not occur.
Road conditions have very little to do with tractor-trailer accidents
Most people probably think road conditions are major contributor to serious semi-truck crashes. Unfortunately, that's not when the majority of accidents occur.
- Over 80% of tractor-trailer collisions occur on dry roads.
- Over 80% of 18-wheeler crashes happen during normal weather conditions.
- Nearly 70% of semi-truck collisions happen during daylight hours.
So next time you are driving down the road, give that tractor-trailer enough room to ensure you and your family don’t become a part of these crash statistics. If you or a family member is involved in a crash with a tractor-trailer, contact us online or call us at 817-500-0990 for a free consultation to discuss your options. We are experienced tractor-trailer crash attorneys.