Who We Are
I'm the father to five, grandfather to one, and husband to my lovely wife. I’m a veteran having served in the U.S. Air Force for eight years. I am a board certified personal injury trial attorney with over 30 years experience representing people injured by others. Having represented thousands of clients over the years, I have tried many cases before juries in both state and federal courts. I learned early in my career that if you prepare each case as if you will take that case to trial, you will usually get the best settlement before you reach a jury.
I love what I do for a living. I truly enjoy helping others and relish the David v. Goliath scenario found when representing ordinary people against powerful corporations. I have successfully prosecuted cases on behalf of my clients against some of the largest corporations in America, including drug companies, car manufacturers, and insurance companies. My clients have come from all walks of life—young and old, poor and rich, blue collar and white collar, mothers, fathers, and children. They've had injuries ranging from soft tissue injuries, broken bones, brain injuries, quadriplegia, paraplegia, severe burns, and for some, death. Over my career, I have recovered millions of dollars for my clients.
Throughout my career, I had the pleasure of helping clients fight against insurance companies and large corporations, including car manufacturers, trucking companies, gas companies and pharmaceutical companies. I was at the forefront of the Fen-Phen litigation where I was instrumental in developing the case and co-counsel in the first Fen-Phen trial in the U.S. resulting in a multi-million verdict in favor of their client. I successfully represented hundreds of other Fen-Phen victims in Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, North Dakota, and the District of Columbia. In Texas, I have represented clients in the following Texas counties: Dallas, Tarrant, Denton, Collin, Parker, Johnson, Rockwall, Palo Pinto, Montague, Cooke, Van Zandt, Kaufman, Hunt, Ellis, Hopkins, Smith, Gregg, Bexar, Harris, Travis, Williamson, Wise, Young, Throckmorton, Eastland, Hood, McLennan, Grayson, Lamar, Wood, Comal and El Paso.
Growing up, I was greatly influenced by my grandparents to be relentless and hard-working, but also compassionate and kind. My strong work ethic and genuine concern for others comes from watching my grandparents. "While I was growing up, I was fortunate to spend a lot of time with my grandparents who owned a dry cleaning business. Day after day, I witnessed their tremendous work ethic, but more importantly, I saw how much they cared for others. It inspired me."
Although raised in Southern California, I returned to my Texas roots after serving in the United States Air Force. I am a seventh-generation Texan and a direct descendant of Robert Potter, a signer of The Republic of Texas Declaration of Independence.
When not working, I enjoy attending Oklahoma State and SMU football games, playing golf, traveling, hiking, reading and spending time with my family.
- Texas Super Lawyer, 2022
- Top Attorney in 2012 through 2021, Fort Worth magazine
- Million Dollar Advocates member
- National recognized attorney in "How the Top Lawyers Stack Up" in D Magazine
- Recognized as one of the "Top Ten Impact Players for 1999" in D Magazine
- Featured on Good Morning America, CBS Evening News with Dan Rather, 60 Minutes II, WFAA News and National Public Radio
- Published in Wall Street Journal, Time Magazine, Texas Monthly Magazine, Dallas Morning News, and Texas Lawyer.
- Southern Methodist University, J.D.
- Texas A&M-Commerce, M.S.
- Northwestern Oklahoma State University, B.S.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Dallas Trial Lawyers Association, President, Director, Past President-Elect, Past Secretary/Treasurer, and Past Communications Chair
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association, Director
- Dallas Bar Association, Member
- Tarrant County Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Texas Grievance Committee, Past Panel Chair/Member
- Top Ten Ethical Traps in Litigation, Tarrant County Bar Association
- UIM/UM, Advanced Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Law
- Battling Big Pharma-Trasylol, AAJ Winter Convention
- Impact of the National Settlement, Fen-Phen Settlement Conference
- Use of Technology in the Courtroom, Fen-Phen litigation Conference
- The Hot Documents for Trial, Fen-Phen Litigation Conference
- Identify Drug Manufacturers, Fen-Phen Litigation Conference
- Fen-Phen Trial Coverage: Good Morning America, CBS Evening News with Dan Rather, NPR
- United States Air Force, 1979-1987, honorable discharge
- Habitat for Humanity-Core Volunteer
- Rotary-Past President of local Rotary Club