Background Image


How Do You Get a Copy of the Police Report After a Crash?

How Do You Get a Copy of the Police Report After a Crash?

A crash report is one of the most valuable pieces of information following a collision.  The police report sets out the details of the crash, the parties involved, the vehicles involved and any insurance information for the drivers.  It will also have a police officer narrative which sometimes will assign fault for the collision.  If you were involved in a crash, you will want to obtain a copy of the Texas Peace Officer Crash Report.

In Texas, if the police responded to a collision, they are supposed to fill out a Texas Peace Officer Crash Report when there is apparent damage to the vehicles of $1,000 or more, or when the crash resulted in injury or death.  The reality is that if the vehicles are driveable following the collision and no one has apparent injuries, some police departments will not fill out a Crash Report.  If the police do not complete a police report, it is important that you get the other driver’s contact information, insurance information and driver license information.  You should also take photographs of the vehicle involved.


If the police officer completes a police report, there are a couple ways to get a copy of the police report.  The first is obtaining it online.  Police in Texas are required to submit the police report to the Texas Department of Transportation.  While they are supposed to submit it to TxDOT within ten days of the collision, sometimes it can take up to two weeks or more following the collision.  To see if the police report is available online, you can click here for TxDOT Crash Report Online Purchase System.

You will need one of the following:

  • The name of at least one of the parties involved in the collision;
  • The driver license of one of the persons involved in the collision;
  • The vehicle identification (VIN) of a vehicle involved in the collision; or
  • The TxDOT Crash IDs for the crash.

You will also be asked for the following information, but it is not required:

  • The city of the collision;
  • The county of the collision; and
  • The date of the collision.

You are required to pay a fee, currently $6.00 for a regular copy and $8.00 for a certified copy.


You can also request a copy of the police report by mail.  In order to request a police report by mail, you will need to fill out Form CR-91 which can be found by clicking here.

Once you complete the CR-91, you send it in with the required fee as stated in the form.  The price for obtaining the police report by mail is the same as for requesting it online.


Following a serious automobile collision, it is difficult for many to navigate the aftermath of a collision.  You are probably dealing with injuries, medical treatment, being able to work and dealing with the insurance companies.  If you need help during this time, you can contact us to discuss your options and how to proceed.  We can help in getting you medical treatment, dealing with the insurance company and providing you peace of mind.  Call us now if you need help and we are ready to ease your burden.

Call 817-500-0990 to discuss your case